Wednesday, June 25, 2008

It's all about how you use it.

I am still trying to finish the Millennial Makeover book I told you about. Its current essence is that the internet, web 2.0 and associated technologies are not intrinsically political, effective or good. Success with technology depends to a great degree on how they are used. Just like guns, publishing houses, and even chocolate, both good and evil can be had depending on how they are used. The author is dedicated to his perception of the generalized empathetic and civilly minded personality of the Millennials.

I am not sold on the idea that generations have personalities. Or rather I am not convinced that the personalties we espouse as teenagers and college aged adults remain with us once we get jobs and families, dogs and cats. Most of the things I valued when I was that age no longer hold sway for me. And my mom has very little in similarity with the hippy she once was. I am not convinced personality of a population is maintainable.

Preferences on contact method change as well. Right now texting and IMing are popular, but they may not be in 20 years.

No comments: