Monday, June 23, 2008

Connecting people with their passions

I think that headline is what most librarians really enjoy about their jobs. We don't get into the Library Business to make lots of money or even to read lots of books (although if we are lucky we might get to do a little of each of those things). No, we become passionate about libraries I think because we enjoy helping people find the things they are looking for. Or perhaps the things they didn't know they were looking for.
I found a 1980 video on the Pioneers of French Cinema while doing inventory today. Besides thinking of the hundreds of people who would not want to watch the video, I also thought of a young student who had recently checked out several books about reading and speaking French and couldn't help but glow as she gushed about how much she liked French.

She happened to come in today, and I looked at her blankly, knowing there was something I was supposed to tell her, but not remembering what. After 20 seconds I got it.
"Do you like watching French, too. Or just reading it?," I asked conspiratorially.
"I like anything French," came her answer. I showed her the video and she excitedly checked it out.
Another successful day for Lynn the Librarian.

No comments: