Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Poetry and Fiction

Perhaps because we are a college library, perhaps because it has been so long since I read a fiction book, but for some reason I have an easier time picking our nonfiction than fiction. But despite my frailties, I managed to pick out 5 new books in those subjects.

They include: Anne Sexton: complete poems: a thick book her photograph on the cover. I probably will not have time to read it all, but I read one, Cinderella, which ended with a familiar ring:
Cinderella and the prince
lived, they say, happily ever after,
like two dolls in a museum case
never bothered by diapers or dust,
never arguing over the timing of an egg,
never telling the same story twice,
never getting a middle-aged spread,
their darling smiles pasted on for eternity.
Regular Bobbsey Twins.
That story.


It just may be my new favorite poem


I also received Sixy Poems by Charles Simic and Poetry on Record: 98 Poets read
their work on CD. I also selected two works of fiction: Tunnels, which our
English professor says is very good. It centers on a boy about age 10 who lives
underground.
The last book we got in new is Johnny One-Eye, a revolutionary War Historical
Novel. It got a great review and I felt like it would be of interest to our
History buffs and our novel buffs.


No comments: