Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Furniture Frustrations

This one is for all the other librarians out there:

What do you do about furniture in your library?

I have been doing a lot of shopping for furniture recently (obviously. See my other posts). And I have run into some snags. First of all, the products never seem to end up being as good a quality as they appear in the photos in the catalogs. Secondly, things are expensive. Even cheap stuff is expensive. So decide to get something mid-grade and I still catch flack for it being "not real wood." I can't seem to find real wood to purchase, except at the hardware store, and that is only in the lumber section. My chairs are real wood and my tables have real wood legs. I am satisfied with those purchases. Now I need more computer desks and the options I have are all laminate. I picked some, but their wheels were poorly designed and very weak. How do I buy good quality stuff on a community college budget?

No comments: