Monday, May 19, 2008

The coolest public library Wiki ever

I found a very cool public library Wiki today. For those who don't know, a wiki is a website that anyone can add stuff to. Like Wikipedia. The thing that the Stevens County public Library did that is so unusual is that rather than being a website for the library only, it centered itself in the community and made its wiki the place to go to find out about that county's everything. Makes me want to be in a public library again.

But not really. A college library does leave me yearning for a children';s department and a teen program to implement, but I really do prefer it in so many ways. College is a jumping off place for so many people and if a library can be open and educational, a great place to study and yet welcoming and informational, then students can take off from there and do anything.

But I wonder if a Wiki would be more advantageous than a blog. I started a blog because I knew it would be easier to manage and honestly, I wanted to get my feet wet before I swam the canal. But I think I would welcome greater comments and more categories and so on that a wiki specializes in. Check out Stevens county wiki. I think you will be as impressed as I was.

http://www.scrldwiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The trouble with a wiki is that it attracts vandals. You almost have to have someone checking all the recent changes and making sure they're reasonable. Wikia allows you to create an account, but most of their stuff seems to involve pop culture. (Seriously, a Penny Arcade wiki? Some people have too much time on their hands.) I would think that a wiki about a town would attract vandals and spammers from everywhere, and legit users from a relatively small geographical area. But ICBW.

Blogs attract vandals and spammers too, but the damage is slightly easier to contain. I get at least one spam comment per day....